Public and private organizations across the state collectively received $2.5 million from the NC Biotech Center to support both research and business.
There were several factors that these awards were designed to effect: science research, technology commercialization, entrepreneurship and funding from other sources, according to WRAL Tech Wire. During the fiscal year, NC Biotech Center gave 92 awards at $7.5 million.
These awards were broken into company loans, university grants and other awards.
· Three company inception loans ($225,000)
· Two small business research loans ($500,000)
· Four technology enhancement grants ($293,627)
· Two collaborative funding grants ($200,000)
· Seven biotechnology innovation grants ($691,205)
· Eleven industrial internship program ($33,000)
· Four biotechnology event sponsorship ($10,960)
· Two biotechnology meeting grants ($12,700)