On April 27, 2019, the SMT Center celebrated STEM excellence in North Carolina. The SMT Center recognized students and teachers from across the state who have excelled in advancing the Center’s mission of improving the quality STEM education for all NC children.
In addition, the SMT Center recognized outstanding organizations and individuals for their commitment to STEM Education. The awardees are:
- Educator – K-8: Jennifer Tatum, Fifth Grade Teacher, Fairview Elementary, Fairview, N.C., Buncombe County Schools
- Education – 9-16: Cliff Grimsley, Biology Instructor, Gaston College, Dallas, N.C.
- Student Leadership Award: Hannah Yoder, Research Triangle Park High School
- Champion Award: Dr. Thomas (Tom) J. Williams, Strategic Education Alliances, Raleigh, N.C.
- Partnership Award: WakeEd Partnerships, Raleigh, N.C.
- Informal Educator Award: Jan Weems, North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences, Raleigh, N.C.
- Business & Industry: NC Electric Cooperatives, Raleigh, N.C.
- Instructional Leader Award: Carla Billups, Elementary STEM Coach, Buncombe County Schools