“Tonight we are gathered to honor some of the best in the state. All of the people being honored are examples of what can be achieved with hard work, creative thinking, and the right kind of support. We hope that tonight’s event will inspire everyone to do even more to make science, technology, engineering and math education in North Carolina the very best it can be.”
These remarks by SMT Center CEO and President Dr. Sam Houston began the 10th anniversary of the annual SMT Celebration, a showcase event that highlights the achievements of individuals and organizations from the past year. A crowd of 450 people enjoyed a reception and dinner at the Hilton North Raleigh on April 29, 2017.
In addition to recognizing STEM-award winning students and teachers across North Carolina, the SMT Center also highlighted its own awardees through video presentations.
This year’s award recipients were:
- Business & Industry Award | FRC East
- Champion Award | Al Childers
- Outstanding K-8 Educator | Sherry Coren, Hendersonville Elementary
- Outstanding 9-16 Educator | Erin Lawrence, Apex Friendship High School
- Outstanding Administrator | Tisha Greene, Oakhurst STEAM Academy
- Outstanding Informal Educator | Jonathan Frederick, North Carolina Science Festival
- Partnership Award | ROCAME
- Student Leadership Award | Shiaoching Tse, The Food Ark
The videos can be streamed through the SMT Center’s YouTube channel.
Our friends at EdNC did a wonderful job capturing the event through Storify.
Please consider nominees for next year’s SMT Awards, information is on our website and the deadline will be on Dec. 5, 2017.