Outstanding K-8 Educator Award in Science, Mathematics, and Technology Education
This award recognizes a North Carolina K-8 educator who excels in fulfilling the mission of the North Carolina Science, Mathematics, and Technology Education Center. The mission of the SMT Center is to systematically improve performance in science, mathematics, and technology preK-12 education as a means of providing all children in North Carolina with the necessary knowledge and skills in science, mathematics, and technology to have successful careers, be good citizens, and advance the economy of the state.
Each year, the recipient of the award will receive a $1,000 prize and will be honored at the Celebration of Science, Mathematics, and Technology. A profile of the educator will be featured on the SMT Center Web site.
Nominee can self-nominate or be nominated by others.
Award submission requirements
The nominator is responsible for completing the nomination packet including letters of support. Deadline for receipt of all materials including support letters: December 1, 2016.
Components of nomination packet:
- Completed nomination form
- Narrative about educator. Describe and provide examples of how the educator:
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for teaching and for promoting student learning of SMT subjects
- Excites interest and inspires independent learning, and the development of critical thinking skills
- Has command of the subject matter
- Presents subject matter imaginatively, with innovation in the design and delivery of content materials
- Emphasizes student engagement in the classroom
Narrative about educator should not exceed 1,500 words and should answer each of the criteria for the award.
- Letters of support from two individuals. The letters should make a compelling case why the individual should be honored. Letters should not exceed 750 words each and should be submitted using the Letter of Support Form.
Once the nomination form is submitted, you will receive an email confirming the nomination. If you do not receive an email confirmation within 24 hours, please contact the SMT Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-991-5111.