Outstanding Informal Educator Award in Science, Mathematics, and Technology Education
This award recognizes a North Carolina informal educator (an educator who works outside the traditional classroom) who excels in engaging young people (preK-12) in science, mathematics, and technology (SMT) activities and experiences. Each year, the recipient of the award will receive a $1,500 prize and will be honored at the Celebration of Science, Mathematics, and Technology. A profile of the educator will be featured on the SMT Center Web site.
Nominee can self-nominate or be nominated by others.
Award submission requirements
The nominator is responsible for completing the nomination packet including letters of support. Deadline for receipt of all materials including support letters: December 1.
Components of nomination packet:
- Completed nomination form
- Narrative about informal educator. Describe and provide examples of how the educator:
- Excites interest and inspires independent learning
- Has command of SMT content
- Possesses extraordinary skills in some, or all, of the following areas:
- Program development
- Exhibit development
- Program delivery
- Expanding audiences
- Extending audience experiences
- Active collaboration to develop high quality STEM education experiences
Narrative about informal educator should not exceed 1,500 words and should answer each of the criteria for the award.
- Letters of support from two individuals. The letters should make a compelling case why the individual should be honored. Letters should not exceed 750 words each and should be submitted using the Letter of Support Form.
The nomination form cannot be saved once it is started so please have all the necessary information available before you start.
Once the nomination form is submitted, you will receive an email confirming the nomination. If you do not receive an email confirmation within 24 hours, please contact the SMT Center at email@example.com or 919-991-5111.