This award recognizes and honors an individual who provides extraordinary support of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education in North Carolina. The recipient of this award will be honored at the Celebration of Science, Mathematics and Technology. A profile of the individual will be featured on the SMT Center Web site.
The nominee cannot be a professional educator. The support provided should not be part of the nominee’s job. The nominee can self-nominate or can be nominated by others. The effort does not have to involve large numbers of people or be complex in design but should deeply engage young people.
Award submission requirements
The nominator is responsible for ensuring the nomination package is complete. The nomination package includes the nomination form (completed by the nominator) and letters of support from two different people. Deadline for receipt of all materials including support letters: December 1.
Components of nomination package:
- Completed nomination form that addresses how the individual:
- Promotes active engagement by young people in STEM activities
- Provides new or enhanced opportunities for young people to experience STEM activities
- Helps spark the interest of young people in STEM topics
- Builds upon STEM experiences of young people in formal education setting
- Letters of support from two individuals. The letters should make a compelling case why the individual should be honored. Letters should not exceed 750 words each and should be submitted using the Letter of Support Form.
Once the nomination form is submitted, you will receive an email confirming the nomination. If you do not receive an email confirmation within 24 hours, please contact the SMT Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-991-5111.
The nomination form cannot be saved once it is started so please have all the necessary information available before you start.